10-Point Checklist For Fall Furnace Maintenance
As heating season approaches the Indianapolis area, it’s time to get out your fall maintenance checklist. High on your list should be a comprehensive furnace tune up. Annual furnace maintenance by a qualified HVAC professional will save you money on energy costs and extend the life of your system, as well as help keep you warmer and your family safer this heating season. Here are 10 important maintenance tasks your HVAC professional will perform:
• Check and tighten electrical and gas connections to ensure your system operates safely.
• Check operational pressures.
• Clean condenser coils.
• Measure the current and voltage on the motor.
• Check safety switches.
• Clean and lubricate all moving parts to reduce friction.
• Check your thermostat for accuracy and proper operation.
• Check and clean blower assembly.
• Clean condensate drain lines.
• Check and replace the air filter.
In addition to a professional tune up, there are some things you can do this winter to help keep your system running smoothly and safely:
• Stock up on furnace filters and change your filter monthly to ensure proper airflow and extend the life of your furnace.
• Keep the area around your furnace clean and accessible in case of an emergency.
• Change the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, and test them to make sure they’re working properly.
• Keep the emergency number of your gas company posted on your furnace and call immediately if you smell gas around your unit.
• Know where your emergency gas shutoff valve is, and make sure it’s easily accessible.
Taking steps to maintain your furnace will help prevent carbon monoxide leaks, prevent breakdowns and save you the cost of replacing the unit.